Friday, September 28, 2018

Kavanaugh Hearing: C-SPAN Callers Share Personal Reactions

Dr. Ford's appearance at the Senate Judiciary Committee regarding the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh was a riveting testimony. I watched on C-SPAN. Callers were able to share their impressions and opinions over three phone lines -- Democrats, Republicans and Independents. And the testimony drew an unexpected number of deeply personal stories in real time, unfiltered, as the C-SPAN host did the delicate work of screening, prompting, interacting and listening. It was memorable enough to merit this blog post.
Here is a sprinkling of remarks from callers, followed by a link to the clips collected by BuzzFeed News.
•  As a victim of sexual assaults that occurred 45, 35, and then again 30 years ago, I could not begin to tell you the dates or exact locations of any of those assaults. I do not even remember the names of two of my abusers. I, however, will NEVER forget the details of the pain, confusion, fear, shame, or physical nausea I experienced during the assaults and during the many years following them. F*** you for being so ignorant, insensitive, and incompetent. YOU feel ambushed??? F*** you again. How in the hell do you think Dr. Ford felt when she was fearing for her life? 
•  This could be my statement. 3 assaults in my life. Well actually more because it happened by the same boy several times when I was 4, yes FOUR years old.
•  I can’t bring myself, yet, to post the sexual assaults that happened to me but Lindsey Graham put me over the edge today. So many women (and men too) have been reliving their sexual assaults over the last few weeks as well. So many tears.
•  ALL Men, politics aside, who covertly or overtly, support this ignorance need to do u.s a favor and NEVER serve in ANY leadership position...elected or otherwise.
•  Graham seems to be a common southern bigot... who genuinely believes that America is best when old bigoted white men run it. Sadly, his kind are aligned with evangelicals like Franklin Graham! Smdh

[Edit note: Duplicate cameos follow because I don't know enough about coding to eliminate the duplicates. I think the BuzzFeed link brings the videos so when I copied the embed code duplicates were made. It's a tech problem but and I'm just an amateur. Sorry. The content is what's important. JB]

BuzzFeed News:

People Called And Told Their Own Sexual Assault Stories During Ford’s And Kavanaugh’s Testimonies And It Was Powerful


🤬





No comments:

Post a Comment