Friday, November 12, 2021

One Room School, Richmond, Kentucky

This post is a work in progress and backup copy as I find out more about this school. 


As one of the few people still around who went to a one-room school, I wanted to find a document validating that part of my childhood. After contacting Eastern KY University where this school was located they sent me links where I can now drill around to learn more about the history of that school. 

To my happy surprise I discovered this image of the school I attended in most of third and fourth grades. I just found it this morning and there is much to say about it, but for the moment this is as much as I care to put on social media.

EKU sent me a couple of links I am now exploring, one of which led to this image. My thanks to them included these remarks:
These links will give me lots to do now. My school was called, in fact, the Rural Training School, specifically identified as separate from the Model School (which I never learned about until much later). 

It was not exactly "one room", though all the desks were in one big room. After two or three steps to the entrance there was a short entry to the classroom, but there was what we called the cloakroom to the right and a tiny room to the left with enough room for a student teacher and about four or five students. At the front of the room a door to the right went to a kind of utility space where tempera paint powders, hectographs, paper and other supplies were kept. A back door and a few steps led to the yard, playground and outdoor boys and girls privies.

My memory was wrong about it's being a brick bulding. I found this image of the school, correctly identified as a Rural Training School on what we called Lancaster Pike. The main room had those big windows on one side and the other side had the cloakroom, entry hall and little  satellite room. 
This is an exciting discovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment