Congressman Lambasts Reps Who Chose To Fund FAA Instead Of Feeding Hungry Children | The New Civil Rights Movement thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/congressman-la…
— Rick Cooley (@rcooley123) April 28, 2013
“While I want to end these delays for passengers in Maryland and across the country, I will oppose this bill because it fails to address the whole impact of sequester. Let me share just a handful of examples of how the sequester will affect Americans.
- Education: Head Start, 70,000 children will be kicked out of Head Start.
- Furloughs to cause delays in processing retirement for disability claims
- Four million fewer Meals on Wheels for seniors. 600,000 people dropped off WIC
- Housing: 125,000 less HUD rental assistant vouchers
- Emergency unemployment insurance cut 11% for two million out-of-work Americans
- FDA: 2,100 fewer food safety inspectors, an 18% cut
- Longer waits to approve new drugs
- Defense and homeland security: furloughs equivalent to 1,000 fewer federal agents, FBI, border, etc., on the job; one third of combat air units are grounded
- 89,000 agency-wide furloughs in IRS, up to seven days, including taxpayer assistance centers — nothing in here for them. They serve 89,000 taxpayers trying to find help. [Note: Rep. Hoyer misspoke -- the figure is 97 million taxpayers.]